How to Write ana Assignment Answers on The International Safety Management Code?
Looking for an Assignment Answer on The International Safety Management Code? Get the Best ASSIGNMENT HELP IN ISM CODE from Experts at AssignmentHelpAUS.com. We have subject matter experts in all academic fields and worldwide. We provide assignment writing, essay writing, and dissertation writing service for students in AUS, UK, USA, UAE and all countries.
Assignment No. 1
Task No. 1
- Topic:: The International Safety Management Code
- Document Type:: Assignment Help
- Number of Words*: 1500
- Citation/Referencing Style: Harvard
a). Introducing a new chapter in the SOLAS convention, Chapter IX: Management for the Safe Operation of Ships. The main purpose of the new chapter is to make the International Safety Management (ISM) Code mandatory. By adding the ISM Code to SOLAS, it is expected to create an international standard for the safe management of ships and for pollution prevention.
b). The objectives of the ISM Code are to ensure the safe operation of ships at sea and in ports, prevention of human injury or loss of life, and avoidance of damage to the marine environment and to property.
Company: Safety management objectives
- Provide safe practices in ship operation and a safe working environment, i.e. company must have procedures and policies in place.
- Establish safeguards against all identified risks, i.e. Company to conduct risk easements of critical shipboard operations, design safety checklists and implement safety talks
- Continuously to improve safety management skills of personnel ashore and aboard ships, including preparing for emergencies related both to safety and environmental protection, i.e. Training sessions and manuals; conducting periodical emergency drills
The safety and management system should ensure the following:
- Compliance with mandatory rules and regulations; and
- The applicable code, guidelines and standards recommended by the Organization, Administrations, classification societies and maritime industry organizations are taken into account.
Functional requirements of ISM code
- Every Company should develop, implement and maintain a Safety Management System (SMS) which includes the following functional requirements:
- A safety and environmental protection policy;
- Instructions and procedures to ensure the safe operation of ships and protection of the environment in compliance with relevant international and flag State legislation;
- Defined levels of authority and lines of communication between and amongst shore and shipboard personnel;
- Procedures for reporting accidents and non-conformities with the provisions of this Code;
- Procedures to prepare for and respond to emergency situations; and
- Procedures for internal audits and management reviews.
Assignment No. 1
Task No. 2
The International Safety Management Code has been built as an international standard for the safe operation of ships. The concept of this standard is to create a safety management system which meets all the requirements of the Code as a
It is a legal requirement that all commercial vessels must create a document detailing the procedures, policies and practices that the crew must follow to ensure the ship travels safely at sea. This SMS should always contain essential information regarding the following:
- emergency situations
- safety culture and reporting
- lines of communication
- regulatory details
- audit procedures.
The SMS’s creator, usually the vessel’s owner or a designated person within the business, may also add any other relevant information they feel should form part of the SMS.
The SMS functions as a way to monitor the hazards that can occur on your ship and to control the risks. That’s why you should review it regularly to keep it up to date.
Each SMS will be slightly different as they are tailored for the type of ship and the kinds of cargo it carries.